Minnesota State Building Codes
Minnesota State Building Code
By law, the City of St. Cloud is required to enforce the Minnesota State Building Code. Local amendments/variances of the Minnesota State Building Codes are not allowed by law. The codes are adopted by the City of St. Cloud by Ordinance Chapter III, section 300 (PDF).
Current Code Editions
- 2020 Minnesota State Building Code (MSBC) (2018 International Building Code (IBC) with Minnesota Amendments for Commercial Buildings)
- 2020 Minnesota Residential Code (MSRC) (2018 International Residential Code (IRC) with Minnesota Amendments for Residential Buildings)
- 2020 MN Accessibility Code (MN Rules Chapter 1341) (2018 IBC, ICC/ANSI A117.1-2009, and Minnesota Amendments)
- 2015 MN Residential Energy Code (MN Rules Chapter 1322)
- 2020 MN Commercial Energy Code* (MN Rules Chapter 1323 - 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), with Minnesota Amendments, and optional ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2010)
- 2020 Minnesota State Fire Code (MSFC) (2018 International Fire Code (IFC) with Minnesota Amendments)
- The City of St. Cloud has NOT currently adopted MN Rules Chapter 1306.
- 2020 Minnesota Mechanical and Fuel Gas Code (2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC) and 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) with Minnesota Amendments)
- 2020 MN State Plumbing Code (2018 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) with Minnesota Amendments)
- 2023 MN Electrical Code (2023 National Electrical Code)
- City of St. Cloud Land Development Code
Information on purchasing code books can be found on the MN Department of Labor and Industry's website, or it is available for viewing at City Hall at the Building Safety Department.
*Effective January 5th, 2024: ASHRAE 90.1-2019 will be adopted as the Commercial Energy Code.