Residential Projects

Residential Projects That Require a Building Permit

  • Accessory structures more than 200 square feet
  • Decks
  • Demolition work
  • Fences more than 7 feet high
  • Finished basements
  • Interior modifications, including any work where 96 sq. ft. or more of existing framing is exposed
  • Masonry Fireplaces
  • Porches
  • Re-roofing
  • Re-siding
  • Replacement windows and exterior doors
  • Retaining walls more than 4 feet high
  • Room additions
  • Structural or non-structural renovations or repair
  • Wood stoves

Residential Projects That Do Not Require a Building Permit

  • Build a detached accessory structure 200 square feet or less 
  • Build a detached deck with a walking surface under 30-inches above grade
  • Build a fence less than 7 feet high
  • Hang wallpaper or similar finish work
  • Install concrete sidewalks

Fences, decks, and accessory structures must still meet all zoning requirements, and may require a land-use permit; for questions, contact the city of St. Cloud Planning office at (320) 255-7218.

Permit Information for Homeowners

  • For detailed information about permits, download the Permits - Information for Homeowners (PDF).
  • Visit the Handout Page (PDF) for information on building codes for residential (one and two-family and townhomes) properties.
  • If you are hiring a contractor to do the work the CONTRACTOR should obtain the permits.  Whomever obtains the permit is responsible for the work completed.  Please see Tips for Hiring a Contractor handout from the State of Minnesota (will bring you the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industries website).

Residential Building Permits

Permits shall become invalid unless the work is commenced within 180 days after its issuance, or if the work is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the time the work is commenced.

Obtaining a Residential Building Permit


Obtaining a Residential Replacement Windows/Doors Building Permit

Additional Permits Required

Separate plumbing, mechanical and electrical permits are required for the installation, alteration, repair, relocation, or replacement to any wiring, piping, and any equipment or appliances associated with those systems.

An electrical permit is not required for minor repair work. Minor repair work includes the adjustment, repair or replacement of worn or defective parts of electrical equipment and replacement of defective receptacle outlets and manual switches for lighting control.

Residential Permit Fees