Demolition Projects

Commercial Demolition Project Information

Only a licensed commercial contractor that is licensed with the City of St. Cloud or a licensed excavator that is licensed with the City of St. Cloud can obtain a demolition permit for a commercial property.

Residential Demolition Project Information

Only the owner of the property, a licensed residential contractor that is licensed with the State of Minnesota, or a licensed excavator that is licensed with the City of St. Cloud can obtain a demolition permit for a residential property.

Getting Licensed

See Contractor Licensing and Mechanical Exam Forms for additional information about obtaining a commercial license or contact the city Engineering Department at 320-255-7249 for information about obtaining an excavator license.

Demolition Permit Information

Permits shall become invalid unless the work is commenced within 180 days after its issuance, or if the work is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the time the work is commenced.

Demolition Permit Application

Download the Demolition Permit Application (PDF) (to be printed and submitted with payment to the Building Safety Department at City Hall).
Electronic Demolition Permit Application (to be submitted electronically)

Land Disturbance Forms

Fill out the Land Disturbance Permit Questionnaire (PDF) to determine if you are required to obtain a Land Disturbance Permit. This form must be submitted on all projects where the land is being disturbed, such as grading and landscaping.

Land Disturbance Permit Application

If yes is answered on this questionnaire, meaning that you are disturbing land of greater than or equal to 5,000 square feet, you must fill out a Land Disturbance Permit Application (PDF) in order to obtain the required Land Disturbance Permit from the City of St. Cloud.

Demolition Permit Fees

  • $18.50 for permits obtained by a homeowner, licensed commercial contractor or licensed excavator
  • $23.50 for permits obtained by a licensed residential contractor

Important Demolition Information

  • All plumbing, electrical and HVAC disconnect work must be performed by a licensed contractor.
  • Separate permits are required for any plumbing, electrical, or HVAC work done in a partial demo.
  • Separate permits are required for plumbing disconnects. The plumbing disconnect permit must be obtained prior to the issuance of a building demolition permit.
  • Soil engineering will be required for any backfill areas prior to any building being constructed on those areas.


It is the responsibility of the permit holder to call for all inspections.

Removal of Footing and Foundations

If footing and foundations will be removed, two inspections are required:
  • After footing and foundation and all debris have been removed, but prior to any backfill
  • After the backfill is in place.