Building Moving Projects


A building mover licensed with the Minnesota Department of Transportation is required to move any building that is more than 16 feet wide by 20 feet long (per Minnesota Statute § 221.81). See the Minnesota Department of Transportation Building or House Mover webpage for more information on licensing and regulations.

Moving Permit Information

Permits shall become invalid unless the work is commenced within 180 days after its issuance, or if the work is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the time the work is commenced.

Moving Permit Application

Download the Moving Permit Application (PDF).

Departmental Approvals

Departmental approvals must be approved and signed prior to submitting a Moving Permit Application to the Building Safety Department. It is the applicant's responsibility to get departmental approvals.

Moving Permit Fees

  • $17 for the first 400 square feet
  • $11 for each additional 400 square feet

Additional Permits Required

Separate, additional permits are required for: Separate permits may be required when moving the building to another location; contact local administrative authorities prior to moving.

Moving Outside the City Limits

The St. Cloud Moving Permit is only for buildings moved within St. Cloud city limits; depending on the proposed moving route, additional permits may be required by the state, county, or city authorities. Please contact the state, counties, and cities that will be affected by the route for additional information.