Click to Home
Go To Search
EmailPrintRSS
Currently No Alerts
FacebookTwitterBlog
Whitney Senior Center History

Main Hanger of Van's Air ServiceFrom the 1930s to Today
The WSC has been offering programs and services to adults age 55 and better in the St. Cloud area since 1977. These programs enrich peoples lives and provide opportunities for healthy vital activities in the ‘Third Age.’

Timeline

  • 1930s - Whitney family donates land to City of St. Cloud for an airport
  • 1946 - Main hanger and office area for Van’s Air Service were built (now Clemens Hall).
  • 1977 - Whitney Senior Center opens after funds from grants are received to renovate the main hanger building.
  • 1980 - National Weather Service building renovated into a woodworking shop.
  • 1986 - Addition of East Wing to building for meeting rooms & classrooms.
  • Whitney Senior Center in 20071991 - Third Age University begins.
  • 1995 - West Wing and new office area built & WACOSA Senior Program gets permanent space. Recreation Center and walking track attached to WSC
  • 2000 - WSC joins Community Service Department of the City of St. Cloud.
  • 2007 - WSC becomes part of the City of Saint Cloud’s new Department of Aging Services along with the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP).